Digital Hoarder

Written on 06:26 by Unknown

Digital Hoarder

Recently I went through my back up disks in order to see what I had that I could use now and also I wanted to check my data back ups. I haven't got anything fancy, just an 80gb usb drive and a 120gb FireWire drive which  I use one for backing up my music and photos and the other for my documents, files, work related things and the odd movie here and there. Normally I think I am quite an organised person but the other day I had a trip up to the loft and discovered the extent of my other hoarding!

There is certainly a lot of sentimental items in there but the majority of things are just random things that I think ' oh I'll use that again one day, best keep hold of it!'  Yeah right! They have been in a box for several years and I've always felt comfortable in knowing that they are there just in case. However when you move hose or need to make room for kids something has to give, hence a de-clutter in preparation for the car boot season.

So I got to thinking about the sort of stuff I had lying around on my hard drives and seeing if there was anything of actual value or had I become a 'Digital Hoarder'? As it turns out there was a whole host of random things such as old ticket receipts in PDF from several years ago, an occasional music program that would only work on Mac OS 9 and assorted music, photos and documents. Now, I have plenty of spare storage space and these files are doing no harm but I had a dilemma as to wether delete them and feel cleansed or to keep them just in case? Now dilemma number two. Would I miss them and maybe If i wouldn't, could i capitalise on them, perhaps financially. I'll manage to shift half the stuff in the loft and put this towards something useful but what about some mp3's I don't use or the odd teaching document that someone else might make use of. There are current wranglings about wether you can sell your used mp3's and I'm sure there could be much controversy over it but how about a digital car boot where you can sell on things that others may find useful?

Are you a Digital Hoarder? The answer is probably yes but I think there are ways to make this easier by transferring things to the 'Cloud' or even sites like YouTube or Flickr and leave a legacy at the same time. Oh and the other day I found a box of old back up CD's (remember those!) I wonder what's in there!?

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment