E-Learning & Jam - an observation

Written on 20:58 by Unknown



So anyone who is reading this must have an idea about e-learning and thus perception is a defining factor when discussing this and being able to agree. Electronic learning has many formats. It's online, technology based, computer based, interactive and creative amongst many others. In my jobs over the years I have chatted to many people about the uses and benefits of e-learning.  It's interesting to hear other people's views on what e-learning is and I am still not surprised that some people I have spoken to over the years consider it just to be some sort of online course or just a Virtual Learning Environment. Also some educationalists i have spoken to consider it boring and not appropriate for their Learners. Who am I to tell them that they are wrong but I would urge these people to hold conversations with their Learners to see if these assumptions are founded. After all a teachers job is to meet a learners needs and in the most effective and sometimes efficient way possible. But i am concerned that some people have never considered e-learning, e-assessment or e-teaching as justifiable methods for teaching and learning. I wonder how many of these people use some form of technology in their everyday life?

When I go to conferences or training events I get great opportunities to share in the good e-learning practice of others. What I can tell you is that these experiences are rich and diverse and showcase a broad range of e-learning practice. Seriously go out there and check them out to make up your own mind.  Very rarely do I see just presentations about 'online courses' or projects centred around e-learning that did not have some learner impact. It's interesting to speak to these people as they can help you make up your own mind. Never have I had an idea forced on me nor have I been told 'this' is the only way. Instead I meet passionate, creative and forward thinking people that openly share their experiences and ask for nothing in return. Oh and they share their failings too in a bid to help others learn from their mistakes. They are essentially 'open source techies' that are willing to 'beta' test e-learning and then share the good practice. I am proud to be involved with such people and know the future of electronic learning is safe in their hands.




So what about jam? I love analogies so what I really want to say is these people and the e-learning they practice and deliver is the 'Jam' in the education sandwich. Its the filling that makes it all worthwhile. Jam comes in many varieties and flavours, colours and textures. Some of us prefer Strawberry others Raspberry and some people even like Pineapple jam! This is the same for learners too, and we need to accommodate their tastes if we hope to deliver effective learning.  Give them a menu and see what happens!

So next time you talk to someone who has fixed views on how e-learning doesn't work stop them and ask what type of jam their learners eat and perhaps you can persuade them to question their perceptions.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

2 Comments

  1. Unknown |

    Nice analogy! I've been talking to tutors/lecturers about using tech in the classroom and keep hearing the same 'they'll just go on facebook or games all the time'. I think this is where the hesitation to use tech comes from. But social networking and games can be utilised in learning, just needs a bit of creativity.
    Besides, students logging on to the network cant access facebook etc. anyway!
    Happy tech-ing! : )

     
  2. Unknown |

    Many bigger institutions allow access to all of those things but its the attitudes to technology that need to change. It's classroom management that can solve those problems. But I agree there is hesitation but if teachers were more willing and open to change then that might help. The bottom line is its for the learners and that should be the motivation!

    Thanks for the comment.

     

Post a Comment